Adding a Help Topic
To add a entry to Help, select the "new note" tab above, or select this |link.
Enter text, images etc. to provide a menu item for your entry. You should make a link to a new page to compose a description longer than a few lines. To do this enter text like: [[Help:Title of entry]], (e.g. Help:Name of your page ... the Help:prefix is important).
To enter an ordinary web link (say to the resource description on your website), just type it in, e.g. http://lucy.kent.ac.uk/csac/
When done editing, click on the "Save Page" button you will find on the bottom left of the edit box.
Now locate the link text (e.g. your text used like Help:Title of entry above ... it will be in red), and click on it. You will have a new edit screen which is yours to describe your contribution.
Go to member Help Contributions
The Editing Tool Bar
Wiki formatting is not as rich as some would like, but is adequate for many purposes. You can embed HTML tags in the text if you feel too limited. Likewise wiki conventions can be embedded.
To make things a bit easier, the Editing frame has a graphical toolbar at the top of the editing window. If you click on the individual icons markup text will be inserted enclosing dummy text you should replace with your text. If you select the text you want to mark up first and then click on the icon, the selected text will be marked up.
For example to put something in bold:
Type: something Select: something. Click on . '''something''' will be inserted into the text at the cursor point. When you save the page something will be in bold.
- Make selected text bold (not while editing, but when viewed as normal page)
- Make selected text italics
- Create a link to a page in the wiki. If the page doesn't exist, will be highlighted in red. Click on the link to create the page.
- Make a link to some external page using a full URL
- Make selected text a headline. This also creates a Section in the text.
- Access a shared image ... we don't have any yet, but you can upload them. To reference an image on another site, just put in the full URL of the image.
- Access other shared media ... we also have none of these yet either.
- Set up for math formatting.
- Include literal text that is not formatted by the wiki.
- Include your signature.
- Insert an hornizontal line to create a separation.
--WikidAdmin 12:48, 7 March 2006 (GMT)
For the Fanatical...
More than you would ever want to know about editing and formats can be found at: